Springtime is a welcome time for many, but for others, it’s not so welcome. Allergies can wreak havoc during this time of year, but why?
Our AFC Urgent Care Knoxville team explains below, so keep reading!
What Are the Root Causes of Spring Allergies?
Seasonal allergies occur when the immune system encounters something in the air that it regards as a threat. It then produces histamines to defend your body, resulting in nasal, throat and chest irritation or congestion.
Pollen is the most prevalent cause of seasonal allergies. Even though it isn’t an actual threat to your health, your body regards it as one. Also, because it’s light and dry, it can travel long distances and produce allergy symptoms that can linger for months. We’ve listed the most common types of allergy symptoms below.
Common Seasonal Allergy Symptoms
- Itchy, watery or red eyes
- Circles under eyes
- Itchy mouth, nose or throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Drainage from the nose down the back of the throat (postnasal drip)
- Temporary loss of smell
What Is the Most Effective Treatment for Seasonal Allergies?
While there is no way to totally get rid of seasonal allergies, there are certain things you may do to make your symptoms less severe. One of the best things you can do is take over-the-counter decongestants or antihistamines, which can help you stop sneezing and sniffling.
A few more useful allergy-relieving strategies are included below.
Ways to Reduce Seasonal Allergy Symptoms
- Know when to take your allergy medicines. If you typically experience bad allergies around the same time each year, start taking your nose sprays or OTC antihistamines about two weeks before allergy season starts, and then keep taking them regularly throughout your allergy season.
- Keep indoor air clean. You can do this by using a dehumidifier and vacuuming regularly. This will reduce the amount of harmful allergens that make their way inside the home.
- After spending time outside, remove your clothes and shower to rinse pollen from your skin and hair.
Need allergy relief? We can help! Don’t hesitate to visit our AFC Urgent Care Knoxville team today.