If you know that you have come into contact with poison ivy, treating it immediately can significantly lessen the impact it has on you.

While not everyone is allergic to poison ivy, around 85% of the population is—so if you are unsure if you are allergic or think you might be, it is best to act fast to reduce the severity of the rash. Read on as our team at AFC Urgent Care Knoxville shares some insight.

Is Everyone Allergic to Poison Ivy?

Poison ivy, oak and sumac all secrete an oil that can cause a significant allergic reaction in humans if it comes into contact with your skin.

While not every person is allergic to this oil, the only way to know for sure is to receive an allergy test or come into contact with it, so if you are unsure, it is best to err on the side of caution.

Types of Reactive Plants

  • Poison ivy
  • Poison oak
  • Poison sumac

What Should I Do If I Have Come Into Contact With Poison Ivy?

If you know that you have come into contact with one of these poisonous plants, there are some steps you can take to lessen the impact.

If you experience severe or worsening symptoms, seek medical attention.

How to Handle Poison Ivy Exposure

  • Wash the area that came into contact with the plant with mild soap and warm water as soon as possible after exposure.
  • Wash all of your clothes (including socks and shoes) that could have come into contact with the plant, as well as any tools or equipment.
  • If you believe your dog has run through poison ivy, you should give them a bath as the oil can transfer from them to you.

If your poison ivy has persisted or become severe, we can help you. Contact your AFC Urgent Care Knoxville team today to schedule an appointment.