What Foods Can Cause Diabetes? If you have been diagnosed with diabetes, there are certain foods that are best avoided to keep better control of your blood sugar levels. For instance, foods like white bread, pasta and rice are goods that are high-carb and processed, which can greatly increase blood sugar levels. But like everything else, any type of food can be enjoyed in moderation, so talk with your doctor or a nutritionist about your specific health needs.
Other Ways to Manage Diabetes
- Keep an exercise schedule.
- Know your numbers.
- Check your blood sugar levels regularly.
- Stay hydrated.
- Adjust your diabetes treatment plan as directed by a doctor.
- Take medications as prescribed.
What Are the Different Types of Diabetes?The two main types of diabetes are Type 1 and Type 2. If you’ve been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, it means your pancreas doesn’t produce enough (or any) insulin. If you have Type 2 diabetes, it means your body is not effectively processing blood sugar. There’s one other type of diabetes that’s fairly common—gestational diabetes, which is diagnosed during pregnancy.
Steps to Help Prevent Diabetes
- Eat a well-balanced diet filled with fruits and veggies.
- Get plenty of quality sleep.
- Limit your intake of added sugars.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week.
- Don’t smoke.
- Get to and maintain a healthy weight.