<![CDATA[Our team at AFC Urgent Care Knoxville wants you to know that you are not alone when it comes to wanting to improve your health. However, why should you go at it alone when chances are that your entire family could use some motivation to build healthier lifestyle habits? With May known as Family Wellness Month, now is as good a time as any to start taking steps to improve the health of your family as a whole.
How Can I Get My Family to Eat Better?Nowadays, it is just way too easy to eat out. Whether it is you going through a drive-thru or having a delivery service bring dinner to your door, it is way more convenient for many families, especially ones with working parents, to order food for dinner rather than cook. However, the convenience isn’t doing our health any favors, as most of the food we eat out is full of more carbs and salt than what we’d prepare at home. Therefore, it is important to do what we can to eat healthy most days of the week.
Ways to Eat Healthier
- Meal prep on the weekends so you have dinner that is easily cooked after a long day.
- Try the Mediterranean diet.
- Check nutrition labels on every food item you buy.
- Drink more water.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables.
- Limit processed foods.
How Can My Family Get More Sleep at Night?Experts recommend that adults get between seven and nine hours of sleep each night—and kids need even more, depending on their age. Yet according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about one in every three American adults has trouble sleeping. Fortunately, small steps can lead to big results when trying to get more sleep at night.
Ways to Get More Sleep
- Establish a family bedtime.
- Cut out caffeine at least six hours before bedtime.
- Don’t eat or snack too late before bed.
- Stop watching your phone or TV at least an hour or two before bed.
- Turn the thermostat to 67 degrees Fahrenheit while sleeping.